Pages

Friday, September 15, 2017

Happy International Dot Day and National Online Learning Day!!

Just wanted to wish you a happy International Dot Day.    

This is based upon Peter Reynolds' book, "The Dot"  It is a short picture book that celebrates creativity and helping develop the creative mindset.  Here is a 4-min read aloud of the book.  You will LOVE it!

I first found this book a few years ago at the ITEC conference in Des Moines.  They had Peter Reynolds as a guest speaker.  Peter spoke about The Dot book in his presentation and I immediately fell in love with the book.  I stood in line for an hour to get him to autograph a couple of copies so that I could give them to our grandsons.

My favorite part of this story began while he was drawing a picture related to the book in the front cover.  I asked him, "When you draw, do you have the picture in your mind and then work to represent it on the paper?"  He thought about it for a minute and replied "No, I see the picture on the paper and then I just need to connect the dots."  Fascinating!



Originated by an Iowan

International Dot Day was originated in 2009 by Terry Shay, music teacher at North Tama High School.  Last year, I had a student in my Ed Tech and Design class who had Terry Shay as a teacher. He said that Mr. Shay was an amazing teacher.

Wait, There's More!

Just found another video created by the author, Peter H. Reynolds, that explains how he creates wonderful graphics . . . all beginning with a dot.




BTW,

This is also National Online Learning Day.  This day "showcases how students of all ages are thriving with the ability to learn online—anywhere, anytime."
There is another webpage where you can read other students' online stories or share your own:

Follow the Twitter discussion today using the hashtag #onlinelearningday

Have a GREAT DAY!!

Z

4 comments:

  1. I see the picture on the paper and then. I just need to connect the dots. Thanks for sharing this blog. Now it's time to avail HALFCASTE CREAM SET for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy National Online Learning Day. This improvement in technology have brought a major change in our daily life and made our life easier. Thanks for sharing this update with us. Now it's time to avail Logo Design usa for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was searching to read that kind of article and I finally found it. It is a nice informative content. Nice post. Thanks for sharing. Now its time to avail boise airport shuttle for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the photo on paper and then. I just need to connect the dots. Thank you for sharing this blog. Now it's time to use the assignment help expert for more information.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your ideas on this topic.